Love Yourself First

How to Practice Self Love



We're going to take a step back today with the important distinction that it is not a step backWARDS. 

We're going to remind ourselves that without self-love our relationships suffer.

What does loving yourself mean to you?

In my experience, radical self-love is both internal and external. Earlier this week I'd had a bad nights' sleep and woke up feeling it. I recognised the need for a little 'me-lovin' so took myself out into the garden. Alas! There were roadworks out the front (I live in a cul-de-sac!) and a jackhammering neighbour out the back! No space for self reflection outdoors. So what did I do to show myself a bit of self-care? I wrapped myself up in bed.

My mindset was nowhere near ready for affirmations of self love so I simply listened to my breath.

After just a few minutes my focus turned inward. I noticed that I was well, I was loved and I was very fortunate to be wrapped up in bed. The switch was miniscule. I hardly noticed that my thoughts had changed until I started feeling relaxed. 

With that, I chose to fill my belly with comfort foods; for me that is a spoonful of peanut butter and a cup of coffee. And I felt sufficiently content at that stage to cope with the noises of the outside world. The garden is usually my refuge, so back outside I went and this time, I actually integrated the hum of the jackhammer into my psyche - I started humming along with it. What else was there to do after all? I couldn't stop the noise so I internalised it. 

This whole time, my husband, recognising my foul mood, had kept his distance but at this juncture, when he heard me humming, he joined me outside with a peace offering, a chocolate. And this is what he said, "Sweets for my sweet," my response..."sugar for my honey." And all equilibrium was restored.

The art of loving yourself is different for everyone so let's share our self care practices to help our community, our relationships and, most importantly, ourselves.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kind of Life You Want

Date Night Arguments and How to Prevent Them

You've Changed