The Kind of Life You Want

Redefining Love and Marriage


https://unsplash.com/@jennymarvin

Committing to a life-long marriage through difficult times takes a lot of courage. I had to define for myself the kind of life I wanted. Was I willing to forgo some of my identity to take on the characteristics of a partner who, just 30 years ago, was a complete stranger to me? Had I really got to know him at all? In this life that we share, how deeply had we truly got to know each other?

Not so deeply at all, I was to learn. In spite of the many epiphanies through our year-long travel escapade, what we did on a daily basis in the humdrum of a nine to five lifestyle eroded the lessons learnt and the coping mechanisms we had adopted. Outwardly we have a wonderfully marvelous life, yet our invisible introspection, unseen by those around us, slowly dims the light in both of our eyes. Old habits took over as we forgot to create special moments together. Our lives became mechanical.

Learning to redefine the meaning of love after 30 years means learning to redefine boundaries that no longer have any meaning. Boundaries that were significant to a 17- and 22-year-old couple madly in love are worlds apart from the boundaries of a 50- and 55-year-old couple at odds with each other’s idea of mid-life contentment. Finding a compromise that makes both partners happy is ongoing if you are to make a permanent home together.

 

https://unsplash.com/@laurenraderphoto

The outcome depends largely on how much you are prepared to give of yourself to make another human being happy whilst maintaining your own happiness.

It does not mean, however, that you have to throw in the proverbial towel on your relationship. It just means you have to work together to find your way back to a common path that will lead you side-by-side to an ever-evolving landscape of sharing and cherishing each other’s dreams and strengths. My head swirls sometimes with the thought that it is up to me to make a difference, but really, it is not. That is another altruistic untruth I had to uncover – if we want something to change, we have to change ourselves first. It is only up to me to make a difference if I am the only one wanting things to be different, but if the feeling is mutual, then both parties need to make the effort.

And so, after 31 years of marriage (at the time of writing), we found ourselves living with the awkwardness of new partners rediscovering a set of guidelines to live by in which we could both flourish. We share platitudes like ‘How are you, How did you sleep, and How was your day?’ These are mindless banalities like ‘What would you like for breakfast?’ or ‘What would you like to do today?’


 https://unsplash.com/@maierfoto

Conversely, ‘How are you?’ is completely different to ‘How do you feel?’ I’m not saying that we should rely on each other to make ourselves happy. Quite the opposite. I am happy and content to be a loner within the walls of marriage, but James would like to share more time together. Was I going to choose to love myself with complete self-indulgence or was I going to compromise and find ways in which I could both indulge in my own space and share in his preferences as well?

 After sharing our youth and middle-age together, I certainly didn’t want old patterns to re-emerge in a never-ending loop, so we had to find ways to renew our interest in each other without the distraction of worldly travels and work to blur the layers of love and companionship.

We had to learn new ways of connecting in a new era instead of going full circle and repeating past mistakes. That’s not to say we wouldn’t make new mistakes because I certainly know by now that a relationship never reaches ‘perfect’ status – perfect does not, and should not, exist. 

To be perfect means to stagnate.

 ❤ This is a closing extract from my memoir, En Route: The best is yet to be. It is a deeply introspective view of my relationship with myself in respect to my relationship with those who influence my connection to life.

❤ It will be released in February 2022 which is a delay from my original release date of October 2021 - this is purely because we have gone ahead with our decision for a skychange. I can't call it a treechange or seachange because James and I are complete opposites in that regard, but skychange embraces us both.

❤ I'm curious to know if you would like to register your interest in being notified of the exact release date for my memoir?

❤ Perhaps even joining me as a launch team enthusiast to share posts on your social media platforms from time to time?

❤ Let me know in the comments or via the contact form in the menu above if either of those options appeal to you. No strings, obligations or ulterior motives attached 💖

❤ If you'd like to read our prequel which actually gives the backstory to my memoir, click the link here

 

Join me on the socials:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Date Night Arguments and How to Prevent Them

You've Changed