The Nature of Relationships



 Let's Dig In

https://unsplash.com/@eliomendes

My cat is a very typical one and does things that are typically, well, cat-like. Her most annoying cat-like characteristic is to wake up at 4am, most days, on other days it's more like 2am!

This particular morning I considered myself lucky, I got an extra 20 minutes of sleep in, as the meowy alarm only went off at 4.20am! Success, kind of. 

Wednesday's are walking group days for me, but on the Wednesday in question, I was without a car at home for various reasons of family travel or work or whatever. Since I'd had hours of pre-dawn reading time (which is my very favourite thing to do, so kitty is all forgiven anyway), I got particularly comfortable in bed with my book, my steaming mug of coffee and no-one in the house to disturb me. Bliss! Even kitty had gone back to sleep since her tummy was now full.

By 6.30am I remembered my resolve to go to my walking group regardless of not having a car. It's only 2.5km away to the meeting point and it is a walking group after all, you know? Reluctantly I closed my book, savoured my last sip of coffee and dragged on my walking clothes. Walking is good for you. Or so I kept telling myself.

Fast forward to the very LAST 5 minutes of my walk with the group, and I had paired up with an older lady just before I branched off to walk the 2.5km back home. People! 

This was the reason for my walk today.

It happened to be her Birthday that day (no I didn't ask her age because that's just rude, right?), so I asked her what her plans for the day were, to celebrate. She told me about her favourite Black Forest Cake from the best bakery in town, and the meal of prawns her husband was going to cook for her with a candlit dinner on their best china - her words.

Stay with me here, it gets so much better that this.

This dear lady, well near 80 years of age, continued to tell me that EVERY. SINGLE. SATURDAY of their lives, she cooks a special dinner for the two of them and serves it on their best china with candles lit on the table. PEOPLE!!!

This literally stopped me in my tracks. I placed my hand on my heart and exclaimed that that was the most romantic thing I had ever heard. She went on to add that it is important for their relationship to make something special out of ordinary occasions.

Goosebumps.

I want to make it very clear here that she has no idea that I am an author of all things relationships. I don't feel the need to bring that into my walking group because it's a separate interest - at least I thought it was until now, BUT I STILL DIDN'T TELL HER - this was her moment, not mine.

So yes! Walking is good for you, in so very many ways. Not only for our health but for our social connection as well. It would have been so easy for me to stay snuggled up in bed with my book and a third, I mean, second mug of coffee, but WOW am I glad I listened to my intuition. I would have missed that absolute gem of information from a couple who know how to make a relationship. Period.

Dear readers, please go and get the special dinner service and candles out of the cupboard and put them on the table. Even if you're having pizza/macaroni and cheese/salad/sausages - I don't care what it is, just serve it on your best china. Please.

That is all.

https://unsplash.com/@montatip


BONUS pics of kitty in question: Maisie Moonlight








Now for the million dollar question: Since you’ve read this far down, you get to weigh in…

😸 Cat person?
🐶 Dog person?
😸🐶 Or both?

Let me know in the comments and post a pic of your pet and your special dinner - hopefully not in the same pic LOL!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kind of Life You Want

Date Night Arguments and How to Prevent Them

You've Changed